Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adding a "Search This Blog" Widget

I started thinking the other day about this blog, and it occurred to me that having a search function would be awfully handy. Now, I had no idea how to do this, but, after much digging and trial and error I have found a way that works. I also thought, that since I found it useful, you guys may, too. So, if you'd like to add this to your own blog, just follow these easy steps:

1. Log in to blogger and go to your dashboard.

2. Click the "Layout" link.

3. Decide where you want to put your "Search This Blog" box, and then click "Add a Gadget". (Don't worry, if you want to move it later you can simply drag and drop it to a new position!)

4. When you click "Add a Gadget", you will see this:

Choose the 2nd option, the one that says "HTML/Javascript" by clicking the plus mark on the right.

5. In the title area, type what you want your search function to say. For instance, mine says "Search This Blog!". You can type anything you'd like there, but be sure to keep it short and simple and to the point.

6. Copy and paste this code into the box:
<p align="center"><form id="searchthis" action="/search" style="display:inline;" method="get"> <input id="search-box" name="q" size="25" type="text"/> <input id="search-btn" value="Search" type="submit"/> </form></p>

7. Hit "Save".

Congratulations! Your blog now has its very own search feature! Your readers can now search just within your blog for whatever they'd like! How awesomely easy was that? ;0)

6 comments:

Janet March 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

Another great tip! Have added my search gadget already - super easy! Now I can rethink how I use my labels...

Ninja Jenn™ March 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

yeah... i had to do the same thing! LOL

makes you WAY more aware of the power of those little buggers doesn't it?

<3

Janet March 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Here's an idea for another gadget for your blog: "Suggest a topic" or "Got a question?" I keep thinking of things I want to ask you and right now my best bet is to find a sort-of-related post and put my question there.

Go on, ask me what my question du jour is... ;)

Ninja Jenn™ March 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

you know, that's a GREAT idea! let me see if I can work on that today!

thanks again for yet another fantastic suggestion!

<3

Janet March 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Just let me know when it's live so I can start using it! You are my go-to guru for all things blogtastic.

Ninja Jenn™ March 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

janet, your contact box is up! let me know if it gives you any problems! LOL

thanks for the idea!

<3

Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP